CT-User

[ct-user] CT 8.53 + Win '95

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] CT 8.53 + Win '95
From: Nate Bargmann" <ka0rny@midusa.net (Nate Bargmann)
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 03:55:13 -0500
This may be of interest to some, otherwise there's the bit bucket!

I ran CT 8.53 under Win '95 the entire SS weekend. First I set up my
COM 1 per the following from W8EH posted to the group on August 20:

The only way to get CT to work right with comm ports
under windows 95 (in most instances), is to disable
the comm port in the windows control pannel.

Using this method, you DO NOT have to shut down windows 95
and go back to that old 'DOS' mode.  I've used it since
'95 came out and it works well running under Win 95 and
gets along with other windows programs running at the same
time.

Follow these steps to disable your comm port for CT to use:

Click on - 'start', then 'settings' then 'control panel'.
Double click on 'system' icon.

Then in this system properties box, click on the tab above
that says 'device manager'.

Then click on the little plus sign next to 'ports'. The
available ports will now be listed below the ports heading.
Double click on the port that you want to talk to the
radio on, using CT.

Now, down at the bottom you see a highlighted line that
starts with a checkmark box, then says 'Original Configuration
(current)'. Click on that checkmark box so the checkmark
disappears. Then click on 'OK' below and close everything.
Then you are ready to run CT with that port. That is
if you have CT set up to the hardware address and IRQ.

Use the same proceedure to turn the port back on for the
normal radio control programs.

73 and good luck.
Ernie W8EH

Ok, having done that I opened an MS-DOS prompt window and ran CT from
my normal batch file:

d:
cd \ct\ssvc97
comtsr1 -b4800 -n82 -rts
ct386 ssvc97 -d -now
comtsr1 -u

(CT resides on drive D: in my system.)

COMTSR1 is configured for Kenwood parms and CT is configured for
TS-850.

Now, how did it work?

Most times the response was fine typing in a call and pressing space
at other times things seemed a bit sluggish.  At no time did the
program freeze, hang, or crash.  I was lucky to have no RFI to the
computer or my recently constructed TTL to RS-232 interface.  CT
faithfully kept up with whatever frequency I tuned to and followed
along on all band changes I performed from the '850.  I never
received any timeout or no response received from radio messages at
the bottom of the screen.  All QSOs had exact worked frequency in the
log after the 'test even if I had edited the QSO.

I did notice a quirk that seemed to be with CT itself and not related
to operating under Win '95.  After a start of the program, changing
bands with Alt-F1/F2 caused the rig to be reset to the bottom of each
band. i.e. Alt-F1 to 40m and the rig is reset to 7.00000, solution,
do band changes on the rig.

Concerning Win '95, having disabled COM 1 in the manner above also
killed my modem on COM 3, IRQ 4.  Curious, but it returned upon
re-enabling COM 1.

FWIW, here is what I learned.  YMMV!

73, de Nate >>

     Packet   | KA0RNY @ WF0A.#SCKS.KS.USA.NOAM        | "If wires can be
     Internet | ka0rny@midusa.net                      | connected in two
     Location | Valley Center, KS USA EM17hs           | different ways,
             View yet another web page at:             | the first way
       http://homepage.netspaceonline.com/~ka0rny/     | blows the fuse!"