[CQ-Contest] Big storm zaps 80m antenna

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Big storm zaps 80m antenna
From: Leeson <leeson@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 00:24:13 -0800
Congrats to the leaders in today's CW Sprint, well done!

I wanted to note that the big new storm here in Northern California damaged our 80m 2-el wire Yagi during the contest. With Trey, N5KO, operating, it developed repeated SWR surges and intermittent reception. The amp flipped off multiple times, and worked only at low power.

This is an apology to Trey, who had a great run going, and also to the stations who had to ask for repeats. Something is really wrong with the antenna, and the station obviously wasn't fully functional on 80m.

The antenna worked fine at full power through last week up to today, but this Level 4 storm blew in during the contest and really broke something. A big disappointment, sigh...

73 de Dave, W6NL/HC8L