Re: [CQ-Contest] TS590

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] TS590
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 20:01:16 -0800
On 12/31/2023 6:42 PM, Ed Felter wrote:
If only Kenwood would put a second receiver in the TS890 now that the 990
is out of production.

Now that Elecraft has been shipping K4s from stock for a while, there are dual RX K3 and K3S rigs available used. Both radios are excellent for Diversity reception, which can be a game changer on the lower bands if you have at least one antenna in addition to your TX antenna. A year or two ago, I picked up a dual RX K3 loaded with filters, a P3/SVGA, new synth boards, and a power meter for $2K from a member of our contest club.

And it doesn't have to be an antenna cut for the band where we're using it. Last I looked, N6RO had six operating positions, and they're often all in use for major contests. For Topband contests, OT N6RO patches a lot of antennas to the operating position he's using so that he can rapidly switch between them.

73, Jim K9YC