Re: [CQ-Contest] multiple monitors?

To: john@kk9a.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] multiple monitors?
From: Stan Zawrotny <k4sbz.stan@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 14:48:37 +0100
I can provide some insight into several of the issues. My computer for
everyday transactions has a 32 inch curved screen. I am able to divide it
into multiple screens to display information from different sources. For
the most part, this works well.

For my radio computer, supporting Flex SSDR, I have three 28 inch screens.
The SSDR functions, focused on the display panadapters, consume one entire
monitor with space worked out for the several SSDR controls (DAX, CAT,
transceiver settings, etc.).  Depending on the contests, the other two
monitors support the logging functions. On a weekend when I am
participating in four state QSO parties plus a European DX contest, I
sometimes find the two logging monitors insufficient. In no way could a
single large screen monitor handle that many applications sanely.

To save the strain on your neck, all of the monitors should be as close to
eye level as possible. Placing them on a shelf above your radios will give
you neck strain. Try to get the as low as possible.

I am fortunate in having a Flex 6600 with no tuning knobs. The 6600 is on a
nearby shelf, enabling me to lower the center monitor to near desk-top
level. I do have an IC-7300 with knobs for backup. I lower the left monitor
down to rest on the top of the radio. The main logger in use is on the
center monitor and the SSDR panadapter and controls are on the right. The
left monitor has secondary loggers, internet access, and anything else of a
secondary nature. I have sometimes considered adding a fourth monitor above
these three for times when I have four or five different logs active. To
attain eye-level for your primary log, it can be positioned in a desktop
window low on the monitor. Both the center and the right monitors sit on
the pedisital that comes with the monitor. This provides room for some
small items such as two clocks, one for UTC and the other for local time.
See my QRZ page for pictures.

I have rambled about my station, but I hope it can provide ideas that will
work  for you.

The short summary is: 3 monitors at eye level.
Stan, K4SBZ