Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest SSB Frequencies

To: Barry Jacobson <bdj@alum.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest SSB Frequencies
From: Stanley Zawrotny <k4sbz.stan@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 11:39:25 -0400
I was severely criticized about these observations, so I expect a lot of flack.

Until recently, I mostly did search and pounce rather than running because of
my station. I observed over the years that the majority of the stations seem to
set up initially on even frequencies and on multiples of .25. After I got my
Flex-6600 and could SEE transmissions, I SAW that this was true. This is not
channelizing, it is just common practice, intentional or not.

So if you are doing S&P, you will save yourself a lot of effort by tuning
directly to those frequencies.  If it sounds s off, the tune further by ear.

I have observed that spotted frequencies of .9, really should be .00. I have
wasted time trying to make contact on the .9 freq and when I moved to .00, I
got right through.

After the bands get crowded,  people will set up anywhere they can squeeze in,
but many will use the .25 multiples.

Ops who are mostly CW Contesters will vary more than others.

These are just my observations, but give them a try before you throw the stones.

Stan, K4SBZ

"Real radio bounces off the sky."