Re: [CQ-Contest] Operating IOTA Contest Remotely

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Operating IOTA Contest Remotely
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 23:00:22 -0700
On 7/25/2023 3:15 PM, Paul O'Kane wrote:
It's their contest - they can "dictate" what they like.

That's a problem with some contest sponsors -- it's what THEY want, not necessarily what contesters want.

Those of us in touch with reality may have noticed a few things. First, our ham community is getting older, and not so many younger folks are coming in to replace us, and to replace the guys that traveled to islands when they were a lot younger.

Second, there's this thing called COVID, which has thinned out the herd here on Mother Earth, and which is far more likely to be serious or even fatal for we old farts. Spending time in indoor public spaces and on mass transit is a great way to get COVID. Several ham events in the past few years have turned out to be super-spreaders.

What I'm getting at is that the world is continuously changing, and ham radio changes with it. Given today's conditions and resources, if remote operation puts new multipliers on the air without giving the operator an unfair advantage, I'm all for it! Ham radio is about radio, NOT about spending money or risking health to go to an island. And remote operation isn't going to activate a rare island, only those with an existing fixed station, like the one that Jeff and John operate!

73, Jim K9YC