Re: [CQ-Contest] Drones

To: "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Drones
From: "h ." <wb2cpu@outlook.com>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 00:06:25 +0000
I see there’s expertise here using drones so I’ll ask a related question.

For the last few years I’ve been using balloons to lift vertical antennas on
160 and 80. (You can see a picture on my qrz page.) It works pretty well as
long as the wind is below ~12 mph. Above that the antenna rotates far enough
from vertical that the different coupling to ground makes it unusable.

I’ve been thinking that a tethered drone might do better in the wind. I’ve
tried small, cheap (< $100) drones and they’re almost as bad as balloons. The
more expensive drones claim better wind resistance. It doesn’t have to hold
position too precisely; 10 to 20 degrees from vertical should be OK.

Any thoughts?

… howie, wb2cpu