Re: [CQ-Contest] Self Spotting in SS

To: "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Self Spotting in SS
From: Edward Sawyer <EdwardS@advanced-conversion.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 17:54:48 +0000
Actually John, (KK9A), those are old rules. As of June this year, the following
applies.

New Rules in effect for all ARRL HF Contests in June

Starting with the ARRL International Digital Contest, in all categories that
allow assistance (Unlimited), the use of online and other non-amateur radio
platforms including but not limited to social media, live video streaming, and
internet chat rooms will be allowed. In all Unlimited and Multioperator
categories, the prohibition of self-spotting, and asking another station to
spot you, will also be removed.

However, it would seem, if you merge 2 of the rules together, self spotting is
now fine if you are Unlimited but saying what your section is as you self spot
is still prohibited.

>From comments I have received, it seems that there were definitely self spots
>but that it was far from an overwhelming shift in SS SSB.  Very interesting to
>see.

I guess it is WAY more common in VHF contests. So it will be interesting to see
what happens in ARRL 10M next month.

Ed  N1UR