Re: [CQ-Contest] QSO Party Rules

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] QSO Party Rules
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 22:06:43 -0700
On 9/19/2022 6:43 PM, Ron Notarius W3WN via CQ-Contest wrote:
The primary concern originally raised was that the rules for selected State QSO
Parties are written to unfairly influence mobiles to not operate enough if at
all on the high bands.

One of the contests in the list of perpetrators was the Pa QSO Party.

I’m very curious as to exactly which “mobile influencing” rules in the event make it
suspect.  Because I don’t see any.

I suspect that may be because you don't work state QSO parties.

Stated in my initial post -- the problem is that in-state stations get multipliers for in-state counties.

The way most of these parties work, mobiles get another mult for each state they work for each county from which they work them. If a mobile works me from 20 counties on 2 bands, we each get 40 mults; if he works KA6BIM (in OR) from 25 counties on 2 bands, they both get another 50 mults. And so on.

An important part of contesting is station building and optimization. From CA, I can work the best equipped mobiles on 80 in states like TX because both of us have worked hard on antennas. Ditto for 40 during the day.

And the goal is not "fairness," it is to improve the contest by making it more fun for out-of-state stations, thus giving in-state stations more stations to work. As Duffey said quite well, you alternate between bands that are open each time you hit a new county. W0BH did a masterful job of this in a GAQP several years ago, hitting a huge number of counties, a multi-op, I think, both CW and SSB. When 40 was productive, he'd hit 20 for 5-15 minutes, then head down to 40.

Good out of state ops keep checking the operating frequencies (and spots) of the various mobiles running between counties, and are ready to pounce when they hit a new county. That's the fun of these contests. Few mobiles, not a lot of fun.

In CQP, for example, 58 mults for in-state stations are States and Provinces, 58 mults for out-of state stations are CA counties, and everyone can work everyone. Not a lot of mobiles here -- the counties are far too large, so we work hard to have all counties covered by fixed or portable stations.

73, Jim K9YC