[CQ-Contest] New RBN Pattern File for fall contests

To: "RBN-OPS@groups.io" <RBN-OPS@groups.io>, reflector cq-contest <CQ-Contest@Contesting.COM>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] New RBN Pattern File for fall contests
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <pete.n4zr@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2022 16:46:43 -0400
As many of you may be aware, the RBN uses CW Skimmer, and CW Skimmer uses what's called a pattern file to distinguish between legitimate callsigns and scraps of other CW communications.  The files identify patterns consisting of up to 3-character explicit prefixes and 1-3 character numeric and alphabetic wildcards. Here's a tiny sample:

+ CE6@
  CE6@@
+ CE6@@@
  CE7#@@
  CE7@@
+ CE7@@@

So for example, CE6A (or any other CE6 plus one letter) is judged to be reasonably common, and Skimmer would only need to "hear" it twice before deciding to spot it. This doesn't mean in a single transmission - Skimmer "listens" to a 50-hz wide decoder, using a 256-character FIFO buffer, so as long as a station doesn't QSY more than that, it's treated as one transmission.  CE7AA does not have a "+", and would need to be heard three times.  CE7@ (that is, CE7A or any other single letter) does not appear on the list at all, and would have to be heard 4 times before it would be spotted.

My impression is that the rash of odd callsign prefixes of the last 10 years or so has abated considerably, but it's always possible that there are still new calls out there that would require a revision to the pattern file.  For example, if a BY4AA (random example), were to acquire BY4A, they would go from being spotted after two repetitions to requiring four.

If this is your situation for the upcoming contest season, please e-mail me by September 25, and I will put out a new pattern file on October 1.  Thereafter, each time any RBN node-op who starts the Aggregator to connect to our server and hasn't yet done so will be prompted to download the new pattern file, and take a few seconds to be fully up-to-date.

--
73, Pete N4ZR
web server at<https://reversebeacon.net>.