[CQ-Contest] "500-meter circle" rule question

To: "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] "500-meter circle" rule question
From: John Owens <john@lorien.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 18:50:03 +0000
I'm hoping the collective wisdom of this list can help me with a rule
interpretation.

Many contests have a rule like "All transmitters and receivers must be located
within a 500-meter circle." For contests that don't include a specific mobile
rule or category, I've taken the 500-meter circle rule to mean that a station
must be, well, stationary for the duration of the contest. So if I'm operating
from my vehicle, once I make the first contact of the contest, I need to stay
within 500 meters of that point (or whatever depending on if it specifies a
radius or a diameter) for any subsequent contest contacts.

Am I over-interpreting the rule? Is it just meant to require that a station
must fit within such a circle at any given time, but it's ok for that circle to
move during the course of the contest like a rover or mobile operation? I was
interpreting it as requiring the station be fixed, but maybe it just means that
the station must be compact and not distributed across multiple locations?

    Cheers,
    -John N6JSO