Re: [CQ-Contest] Spoofed Self spots

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Spoofed Self spots
From: Paul O'Kane <pokane@ei5di.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2021 23:33:10 +0000
Identifying fake "self-spotting" using IP addresses alone is a non-starter - we all have access to VPNs these days to spoof them.

In supporting, as I do, all relevant technological innovation, I recommend using the cluster to its fullest extent.  While we await SSB RBNs, and let's hope it'll be a short wait, I believe that self-spotting should be encouraged.

After all, the Reverse Beacon Network has democratized CW contesting - call CQ and you're spotted right away.  Self spotting is simply the SSB equivalent - calling CQ on the internet.  Why should CW operators have all the advantages - it's not fair.

73,
Paul EI5DI
For spots, please use your favorite
"retail" VPN