[CQ-Contest] Voice RBN

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Voice RBN
From: <w1rm@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 13:50:26 -0400
Now this is going to sound odd coming from a die-hard CW guy but as one who
sips the cup of RBN CW spots, I can tell you there is need for a lot of
improvement in that technology.  Voice RBN would be scary!  If there were
voice RBN actually put into production I would hope the stations who relay
those spots offer the ability to turn them off!

I know there have been attempts to better filter CW RBN and yet I still see
a lot of broken CW spots.  Broken because they are inaccurate.  CW RBN does
not have any real intelligence yet so spots for things like EZ get through
(E7 ops probably sending way too fast or badly), even though there is no
legal hamming in EZ.  I see a lot of spots for TN's too, but they are broken
calls thanks to less that proper sending.

I have done enough SSB contesting to know how hard it is to pull the correct
call out, especially when the op on the other side doesn't speak clearly,
has muffled or distorted audio, has massive background noise or echo, just
to name a few of the challenges.  My hat's off to those of you who operate
phone contests and do it well.  The folks who do DXpeditions are even more
to be congratulated!

This one needs to be done like great BBQ, low and slow (:->)

Pete Chamalian, W1RM

W1rm@comcast.net