[CQ-Contest] NAQP and rule changes

To: "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] NAQP and rule changes
From: K3TN via CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 10:13:28 +0000 (UTC)
First a reminder that the best way to have your voice heard about rule changes
is to directly email the sponsors, in this case:
CW:cwnaqpmgr@ncjweb.com SSB: ssbnaqpmgr@ncjweb.com RTTY: rttynaqpmgr@ncjweb.com

In most contests where there is a SOA category, I'll enter as assisted and use
spotting.  From my small home station, definitely helps my rate both running
and S&Ping. When I guest operate bigger stations, same is true.
But in contests like the NAQPs and Stew Perry (or the Sprints, where spotting
is useless anyway) I enjoy the change and going back to the old fashioned way.
Rate definitely makes the time fly in a contest and maximizes score, but there
is something about periodically testing out those old skills that I enjoy.
Personally, that skill building is what got me into contesting vs. trying to
win awards. Same reason in recent years I've gotten into playing around with
Arduino boards - I'm not building world class devices but it is challenging and
loads of fun.
I think a lot of younger hams are coming from the builder movement - amazing to
see crowded soldering stations at the Builders areas at hamfests! The
equivalent of higher rate would be to just buy the boards/boxes and get going.
So, I don't think every contest should be the same and I don't think making
rate easier is really  needed to attract new hams to contesting, especially in
popular entry level contests like the NAQPS.
73 John K3TN