Re: [CQ-Contest] Please Explain This

To: CQ-Contest Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Please Explain This
From: Douglas Zwiebel <dougzzz@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2021 09:10:38 -0400
Gosh...I think we have all experienced this in every contest for as long as
we have been contesting...which for some of us is a LONG time!

I think it's just "human nature" kicking in or folks not running QSK or
with their "delay" set longer than is optimal.

This even happens with "good" ops, such as one might experience every
Wednesday in CWT.  I try my best to stick with the part of the call I
heard.  I recently was running and I heard XX.  So that's what I called: XX
and waited for the fill.  Still several calls, but XX was "weak."  After 3
tries, the other "gave up" and happily, XX did not.  It was PY and a new
one for the ACA for 2021, so good news for me.

On the other hand....sometimes the partial call is someone just above, or
even in, the noise.  So if an S9 caller dumps it in, I go for the guy I can
copy with ease.  Am I providing an invite to others to  call me when I
don't come back to their partial call?  I don't know....mebbe?

What bothers me even more, is when I get three callers; I come back to just
one and when the exchange is done, the other 2 are "gone."  Really?
Couldn't wait 6 seconds more?  Oh well.  Happily, that does not happen all
the time.

For me, the most fun is when I copy a full call and part of another call.
I work the full call and then give the "partial" call and successfully
complete the next QSO with max efficiency.  That is FUN!  Decades ago, I
could copy 2 full calls at once, but that hasn't happened in a while.
<grin?

Take away....be flexible and don't let anything surprise you...it's all
part of the game.

de Doug KR2Q