Re: [CQ-Contest] Key Clicks.... Continuing Problem

To: Kenneth Wolff <ken@k1ea.com>, cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Key Clicks.... Continuing Problem
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2020 18:53:06 -0800
On 11/14/2020 3:52 PM, Kenneth Wolff wrote:
> However, when the problem is the higher order harmonics of the baud
> rate, the attenuation doesn't change much from the 11th to 13th
> harmonic, and they do move out with speed.

For the dirty rigs, the effect of the keying wave-shape on bandwidth is an order of magnitude greater than is the baud rate. I investigated that with the K3 several years ago, and even with that very clean rig, couldn't see anything until I got above 25 WPM. With dirtier rigs, I wouldn't expect to see it under 40-45 WPM.

I believe Elecraft uses a sophisticated spectrum shaping DSP technique, > but the rest seem to use the equivalent of a simple RC filter and
that's > not good enough.
Yes, I believe that began with the K3, designed in 2007, and has carried forward to their subsequent designs. Flex adopted it after their 6500-series rigs were tested by ARRL.

73, Jim K9YC