Re: [CQ-Contest] FT4 - Robotic Contesting

To: "reflector cq-contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] FT4 - Robotic Contesting
From: "Dave Hachadorian" <k6ll.dave@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2019 08:26:51 -0700
I have done both FT4 and RTTY contesting. Let me compare them.

RTTY
Using a heavy-duty 1500 watt amplifier, I call CQ CONTEST.
A station comes back, automatically goes into N1MM's GRAB box, and I hit INSERT. N1MM sends a bogus 599 plus the exchange. The other station's exchange data gets filled automatically from a call history file.
I hit ENTER, and TU QRZ gets sent.
Repeat all above

FT4
I click ENABLE TX, and a CQ gets sent, using only a 100 watt exciter.
A station comes back, gives me a real signal report and exchange, and the program automatically sends a roger and my exchange, including real signal report.
He gives me a roger and the program automatically logs the QSO.
Repeat all of the above (including clicking ENABLE TX).

Note:
FT4 is using 100 watts, not 1500.
FT4 is narrower than RTTY, especially at 100 watts vs. 1500 watts.
FT4 is more sensitive than RTTY.
FT4 has the potential for the same QSO rate as RTTY.
There is ample opportunity for operator intervention in FT4, to call a station different from a default selection, or to switch to S&P mode.

It's just not that different from RTTY, and it's NEW PROGRESSIVE TECHNOLOGY and FUN! What's not to love?

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ