[CQ-Contest] Self Spottig?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Self Spottig?
From: Hank Greeb <n8xx@arrl.org>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2017 12:51:01 -0400
So, how do we limit "random" spotting by friends (or paid spotters) made in advance and coordinated by a third party?

I say this, because in the early daze of NPOTA (where self spotting is allowed) I had a friend in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan spot me when i'd call him with a frequency and mode. Similarly now for Michigan State Parks on the Air, and Parks on the air (two which allow self spotting) I announce on social media (Facebook) and the QRP-l reflector, my location, and ask folks who work me or hear me to spot me. Each spot generates half dozen or so new contacts on a typical outing.

I've never done this with a contest which does not allow spotting, but it would be very easy to organize. Besides, even without coordination a fellow within ground wave could monitor the bands for a friend, and spot whenever a "run" frequency changed.

It seems to me that so many types of "assistance" are allowed for single operator, that adding spotting networks would be a small addition.

But, since the contests are run by and for the "Big gun winners" my pip squoke comment will gain no traction.

72/73 de n8xx Hg
QRP >99.44% of the time