Re: [CQ-Contest] Logging Software Automation For Antenna Rotators

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Logging Software Automation For Antenna Rotators
From: "john@kk9a.com" <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2017 07:37:02 -0400
Perhaps it depends on what controllers you have. Hy-Gain rotators have a
brake and are a pain to turn with the stock controller, especially when
they stick. I have only prop pitch and TIC ring rotators all with Green
Heron controllers. Neither have brakes. It is easy to reach over and turn
the knob to the direction that I want and let the rotator do its thing.
About the only issue is selecting the correct rotator and antenna switch
when sleep deprived. From 8P I cannot imagine that you use the rotators
often.

John KK9A

From:   "Tom Georgens" <tomgeorgens15@gmail.com>
Date:   Thu, 6 Apr 2017 16:17:18 -0700

Being able to turn the antennas without having to touch the rotor boxes has
a number of advantages.  As Ken points out, getting the boxes out of the way
is one.  I found that I would reach for the control box and hold down the
levers (T2X) while I continue to work guys on the radio.  I would inevitably
overshoot, have my fingers slip off the levers, or hit the limit switch.

I found the Logging software to not have a useful solution to this.  Most
rotor changes are on antennas I am not currently using, in anticipation of a
band change.   I wrote a small app that lets me configure 6 presets (EU, US,
JA etc)  I just click on the preset, and the rotor goes there.  The display
will be the beam heading, unless it is within 5 degrees plus or minus of the
preset, in which case it will display the preset caption.  Typically the
display of the 4 rotors will show something like EU, EU, US and CE instead
of  45, 45, 315, 190.  It is much clearer, especially after being awake over
30 hours.  Some other features are offsets in case the mast slipped, and
protection against hitting the limit switches, which can render a T2X
inoperative.  Another feature is a timeout.  I once had a sidemount antenna
slip in the most clamp so it hit the tower on rotation.  The rotor was
trying for 30 minutes to get to its destination.

This was not an advertisement to sell software.  Just some food for thought
for the logging SW developers

73, Tom W2SC