Re: [CQ-Contest] modest proposal ...up to 200w

To: sawyered@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] modest proposal ...up to 200w
From: Matt Murphy <matt@nq6n.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2016 10:33:27 -0500
With the likely FCC rule change permitting higher gain for amateur
amplifiers and modern high power MOSFETs, I'd actually expect to see more
new HF transceivers manufactured with only 15-35W output capability...
plenty to generate legal limit from most of the newer amplifiers, and
plenty for the JT modes and only a few dB down from 100W without the power,
size, and heat dissipation requirements of a 100W or 200W transceiver.

In terms of the cost of solid state QRO operation, the non-MOSFET
components of an amplifier or amplifier+ATU seem to be fairly comparable at
the 100W and 500W level, with a bit more cost added above 1KW.

100W power levels seem to be an artifact of linear power supplies used on
HF, not a cost or engineering complexity limit.

The above comment may be completely inaccurate or off base. Please take it
with a grain of salt.

73,
Matt NQ6N