[CQ-Contest] NAQP Power Level

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] NAQP Power Level
From: Jeff Clarke <ku8e@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 2016 09:15:31 -0500
I think many of you all are misunderstanding what I meant by "level playing
field". Maybe that was a poor choice of words on my part. Like many have said
there is no contest that has a truly " level playing field " other than the
WRTC.

Let me try to explain. Almost every contest has different categories like LP,
HP and QRP, so you are competing again similar stations as far as power levels.
This isn't totally perfect because some might have better antennas then others.
CQ takes this concept even further by having a Tribander/wires category that
adds the type of antennas you are using to the equation.

Now let's look at NAQP. What kind of advantage is there or why does it make it
more fun  by limiting everyone to only 100 watts. The only advantage gained is
by stations with large antenna systems gain a huge competitive advantage over
everyone else. For someone with a lesser equipped station you have no chance to
be competitive and are left operating for the fun of it or to just meet
personal goals. That's OK, but for someone who is super competitive that might
be enough.

The point I was trying to make is what's the harm of creating other categories
in NAQP so you can compete against similar stations that you are usually going
against in every other contest.  I'm not advocating that you dumb down your
station like one person suggested. But what's the logic of allowing a QRP
category in the NAQP rules but not a HP category?

Just a personal observation because there have been some  who have felt the
urge to attack me personally with name calling in this thread and the one for
CR3L. I usually don't make a comment on this reflector unless I feel strongly
about the subject being discussed because there are trolls (I rarely work them
in contests but they appear to be experts on contesting) on this reflector who
stoop to that level all the time.
My comments are usually well thought out and respectful.

In contesting (and life) there are two categories of people - the "Haves" and
the "Have Nots". Now the  "Haves" are never going to want rules to change
because they benefit them. If a "Have Not" suggests change the "Haves" just
don't like this at all. They will ridicule or criticize and suggest that
person's idea is stupid. Or they will say stupid things like that person is
only making that suggestion to only benefit themselves, which is pretty
childish IMO. Think about that the next time you hit the enter button.

BTW.. I see no problem with what W5WMU is doing since he isn't submitting an
entry. There are lots of casual stations in NAQP who run HP and never send in
their logs. No one ever criticizes them.

See everyone in NAQP CW later today.

Jeff KU8E