Re: [CQ-Contest] Advice Sought for Wireless Headsets & Mics

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Advice Sought for Wireless Headsets & Mics
From: David Pruett <k8cc@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2015 15:04:22 -0500
"even a small sidetone delay can drive one nuts"

How small?  5 mS?  You will not notice 5 mS, but 5 mS is indeed small.

I would not argue the statement "even a *noticeable* sidetone delay can drive one nuts", but what is noticeable?

During 30+ years in the automotive industry, we had a rule of thumb that anything under 100 mS couldn't be "noticed" by the human operator. Generally, this was as applied to momentary presses on control switches, which begs the observation that whether a delay is noticeable depends on what the reaction is referenced against. Delays on asignal received over the air are not noticeable because the mind has nothing to reference it against. A noticeable delay on the CW sidetone will indeed be noticeable to the operator. I know - I've experienced trying to send CW with the sidetone passed thru a Timewave DSP filter, which is why they provide an input from the amp relay keying line to bypass the filter during transmit.

I'm not here to argue Jim's original point. A/D & D/A conversions do indeed add delay, but these are pretty darn small with modern technology. I might suspect that more delay is introduced through the transmission time of the Bluetooth signal, which is finite and limited by bandwidth constraints.

Without data or real life practical experience, this entire discussion is nothing more than speculation.

Dave,/K8CC
Retired Electronics Engineer