[CQ-Contest] The difference between assisted and un-assisted; let's make

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] The difference between assisted and un-assisted; let's make that as simple as it is..
From: "Mark van Wijk, PA5MW" <pa5mw@home.nl>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2015 13:55:59 +0200
Contesting is about FUN.

However, after every major contest the same debates start again.
Year after year.
Rules, more rules, interpreting rules, outsmarting the rules, enforcing the rules and then some more rules and redo from start.

Talking about assisted vs un-assisted can be made very simple if we just rudimentary define its ancient behavior.

But you need to be willing to see it.

I would suggest you sit back for moment and decide which entry class provides you the most fun?
Let the fun-factor decide which suits you the best; unassisted or assisted?

UN-assisted can and should be made more clear, raw so to speak.
Maybe we stop at pencil and paper logging, but just there.
The better we do that the more distance we create between the two entry classes.

The greater the difference the better people can decide where they find there optimal source of FUN.

WHAT is truly UN-assisted?

It is quite simple;

A boy and his radio, doing all the things the old-fashioned way; turning the VFO for finding QSO's, notice band-openings etc. Making all QSO's by her/himself and her/him only. And the only 'tool' used are ones own ears. Contest logging sw and pc operating is ok. So is the phone CQ parrot and the automatic/programmed keyer.
In essence it is doing it all by yourself.
It is not too difficult seeing what is NOK.
You don't need rules for that. If you really start thinking about the true un-assisted concept it becomes very clear what the differences towards assisted are. It is a matter of pride and self-regulation too.

Do you recognize the fun in all described below? Than un-assisted is your fun-thing. If you disagree on some parts, let's remain good friends but maybe you need to admit to yourself that assisted suits you better.
Better in terms of providing you more fun.
There is no judgement on either entry-class, just see which provides you more fun at doing contest-hamradio.

BEFORE CONTEST (un-assisted)

You do all the band propagation checkup already days in advance by listening only(your own ears). You do not check the internet for anything during the days before the contest. You do not check dx-clusters, RBN, propagation, dx-clusters or whatever.
You are outside the contest just as un-assisted as during the contest.
30min before start you do not fill your bandmaps with found stations from the internet/backyard RBN/Skimmer/whatever automation. You only spin that VFO dial and use your own ears. Fill that band-map by listening and entering calls in the bandmap yourself.
In fact you are 'disconnected ' from any technology on this.
It does not need rules; in fact you can very well figure out what is truly un-assisted.

But only if we make it more black vs white.

DURING A CONTEST (un-assisted)

You are 100% disconnected from internet. In fact you should already be for a few days, because your contest preparation is done the old fashioned way. You feel pride in doing it that way. During the 48 contest hrs your home is totally disconnected from internet, phone, TV and just ANYTHING which might provide your brain 'information' other than what comes directly from your rig's loudspeaker.

No Bandscope  (switch it off), no SDR monitoring equipment.

If you have anything built, extra receivers monitoring the other bands etc.. it does NOT provide you automated information. No remote operated equipment. You will have to go there and use your ears to get the data you want.

No automation which creates you opportunities to...... you figure that one out, right?
If you need to get into details on this, you missed my point:

****Your EARS are the only TOOL for finding and making QSO's at any given time.****

No Super Check Partial (or any such pre-available call-sign database)
You make notes on paper and/or put found stations in your band-map yourself.

You don't talk to your wife (other than discuss your drinking&eating support), you don't take any phone calls, you don't check in at any chats, VHF rounds.

You only spin your VFO dial and solicit for new mults/QSO's using your ears.

You use your own experience and strategy based on above.

Your ears and brain are the only tool before-and-in an un-assisted class entry of a contest.

If you feel like to question or debate the above, maybe you do have a different opinion on what is fun at contesting.
I can understand that.
In that case I suggest you enter the assisted class.

Now for those who start believing I only like un-assisted or anything; not true. In fact I enjoyed for many years operating PI4TUE (now SK) solely assisted, using every season more and more many assisting gadgets and the internet, as rules would allow us.
Like said on top; contesting is about fun.
One can enjoy ham-radio fun in both assisted and un-assisted entry-classes just as well.

Now if we can just separate them more in black vs white

73 Mark, PA5MW