Re: [CQ-Contest] Rules off the table ?

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Rules off the table ?
From: "Ed Richardson" <Ed_richardson@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2013 12:58:58 -0600
Every contest has its challenges and to keep things interesting, they
should all be a little different. Different exchanges, different lengths
etc.

As for the poor folks on the east coast, I have no sympathy if they feel
like they can not win this one. If they feel like life is meaningless
unless they win every contest, perhaps they should follow their own
advice they so freely give when the west coast or black holers complain
about not being on a fair footing in DX contests. "You can always move!"
Perhaps go on a dxpedition to some exotic location like VY0, VE4, VE5,
or WY, MT or ND.

SS seems to be the fairest contest I have seen. It takes good planning
to know when to change bands, when to take off time. The goal for
everyone is the same, work everyone in the contest once. That should be
achievable if you plan well. If you manage to do that in 6 hours
...great.

If there are to be any changes made my only suggestion is to turn it
into a sprint format. You can not sit on one frequency and call CQ start
to finish. Everyone is spinning the knob...No time for looking out the
window, watching a football game or whatever else you may have planned.
Active contesting. Eliminates the cluster and spotting. The little
pistols that are timid about running now can get some experience... More
training means better contesters.

Ed