Re: [CQ-Contest] Discrimination Against single-Op Assisted

To: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>, reflector cq-contest <CQ-Contest@Contesting.COM>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Discrimination Against single-Op Assisted
From: Kelly Taylor <ve4xt@mymts.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 09:25:45 -0500
All,

While I don't have an issue with Skimmer in the contests that allow it, I do
have to wonder: do all contests need to have the same rules?

I actually like the boy-and-his-radio (hello, Hans) flavour this rule brings
to IARU, which is only one contest of many each year.

Having all contests freely adopt the usage of Skimmer technology as a way to
encourage new contesters does have a double-edge sword effect, as well:
while there may be some new contesters who favour the use of as much
technology as possible, there must also be some for whom a radio and antenna
have already stretched the bounds of their budgets.

Are there not enough contests who have adopted Skimmer technology, to the
point that if one single contest does not, the universe will not implode on
itself?

And, while I celebrate Pete's right to advocate as he has, I hope the use of
the word 'discrimination' was merely poorly chosen phraseology:
discrimination is when you have to use a different washroom, water fountain
or seat on the bus than everyone else, or are denied a job/promotion/raise
only because your chromosome count differs or because your God is different
than your boss's God. I'm not sure the rules of an event that NOBODY is
required to participate in qualifies for such a loaded word.

Whatever the contest committee decides is fine by me. But I think every
contest has the right to decide its own rules and its own flavour.

73, kelly
ve4xt