Re: [CQ-Contest] WARC Antenna on a single tower for the contester?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WARC Antenna on a single tower for the contester?
From: Mike Fatchett W0MU <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 09:43:54 -0600
You pose great questions that are very difficult to answer.

Have you noticed any degradation in the operation of the other
antennas?  If not I would not worry about it.  It is a comprimise you
make to work DX and you can bet the second you take down the WARC beam
something you badly need will show up there.

It sounds like you need the new SteppIR antennas they just started
selling or sell the F12 and put up a  smaller version of the SteppIR
that has 6-40m if you are greatly concerned about interaction.

I have an Cushcraft XM240 @82 ft and the 4 ele SteppIR with the 30/40
option @72ft.  I never use the 40m part but I wanted 30m.  I am
considering replacing the second director with a  second 30/40 element
for a bit more gain.  Once caveat to the SteppIR is that you do not get
instant band switches which makes band changes a bit slower.

For SO2R I would prefer a 2nd tower with antennas that allow instant
band changes.

If it was me I would leave well enough alone.

Good luck!

Mike W0MU