Re: [CQ-Contest] Learning Morse

To: "Rick Kiessig" <kiessig@gmail.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Learning Morse
From: "Robert Chudek - K0RC" <k0rc@pclink.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2008 18:18:47 -0600
Rick,

Those are good questions and I'm sure you'll get a variety of answers.
Here's mine...

In most CW contests I find fellows operate around 27 ~ 29 wpm, a few faster
in the 31 ~ 33 wpm range. On the other hand there are many fellows that
operate in the 21 ~ 25 wpm range. I slow down or speed up to match their
speed when I am in S&P mode. I will drop below 20 wpm if that's the speed I
hear.

The ARRL Sweepstakes CW contest tends to run at a slightly higher rate,
especially after the fellows get "warmed up on Saturday evening". So it's a
mad house of pileups at the beginning and then speed demons if you show up
on Sunday!

If you're contesting, you are (should be) using a keyboard for logging. So I
wouldn't waste time trying to write with pen and paper. If you insist
though, most people can write in cursive faster than printing, so writing
will give a speed advantage. I switched styles in the early days when I hit
the 20 wpm mark because I couldn't print any faster.

I believe the Farnsworth method allows characters to be sent at one speed
(say 27 wpm) and the element spacing set at a slower speed (say 22 wpm).
This is the option I would use if it was a choice. You will learn the sound
of the higher speed elements.

In a contest, sometimes I will listen to a QSO and "load" my logging program
with the information even before I attempt a contact (in S&P mode). If you
are in run mode, you can set your speed to your comfort level. Most
operators will slow down for you.

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN