Re: [CQ-Contest] The Skimmer Rule Challenge

To: ve4xt@mts.net, 'Michael Coslo' <mjc5@psu.edu>, "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>, "'Kerr,Prof. K.M.'" <k.kerr@abdn.ac.uk>, 'Robert Naumann' <w5ov@w5ov.com>, 'cq-contesting cq-contest' <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] The Skimmer Rule Challenge
From: Stan Stockton <k5go@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 21:49:03 -0400
---- "Joe Subich wrote:

> So what?  The software can export the data as blinking lights,
> a paper tape, or an electric shock to sensitive parts of the
> anatomy and it is still NOT DX Assistance because it does
> not involve the participation of another person.

Joe - If I bought into your definition of DX alerting assistance of any kind,
but had my viewpoint on Skimmer, I would then argue, using your logic, that if
someone put out a very short CQ (which will happen) for the express purpose of
being "spotted" on hundreds of skimmers it was assistance because the CQing
station was a person and was providing assistance to the single operator - in
effect self spotting himself.  This is every bit as reasonable an argument as
you are making regarding assistance of any kind.

The CQ WW rule says:

The use of DX alerting assistance of any
kind places the station in the Single
Operator Assisted category.

Name a few of the DX alerting assistance examples, other than packet, that
would be outlawed for single operator and allowed for Single Operator Assisted
without putting the entrant in the Multi-Single Category.  In other words what
does OF ANY KIND mean and what are some examples.

Stan, K5GO