Re: [CQ-Contest] technical challenge

To: "Ev Tupis" <w2ev@yahoo.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] technical challenge
From: "Richard DiDonna NN3W" <nn3w@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 20:12:05 -0400
I think it can cut both ways.  If things are close, there is absolutely an
incentive to flooring it for whatever time remains in the contest to "win".
Indeed, in many contests we already have "semi" real time scores - QSO
numbers.  We see this in WAE, Sprint, Sweeps, and WPX.  For contests like
Sprint and Sweeps with a finite number of mults, the Q number is a real
sign.

On the other hand, if I see that I am being murdered in a contest - 36 hours
into a 48 hour test, I might very well throw in the towel and just quit.

Now folks keep mentioning the same tired phrase over and over - "I agree
that if you're looking at a real time scoreboard, you're losing."  This is a
load of crap.  It takes five seconds to type in a url or to hit a refresh
button on your internet browser.  I guarantee you that folks spend more time
picking their noses or digging ear wax out of their ears than the five
seconds that it takes to type in a url....

Now if scores are to be posted, it must be callsign, entry category, and raw
score only.   Giving out mult counts or QSO counts or band information gives
away too much information, and should be supressed.

73 Rich NN3W