Re: [CQ-Contest] A call to action

To: "Trent and Lorraine Sampson" <vk4ti@sampson.net.au>,"CQ Contest" <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] A call to action
From: "Alan Zack" <k7acz@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 20:08:21 -0700
I don't know.  CW decoders just don't work well as a set of ears.  From my
understanding you must be right on freq and have a very good s/n ratio.  If
you are calling on the DX's freq and someone sends UP UP slightly off his
freq you won't decode it.  And if the DX is working simplex the decoder
won't decode because of all the different signals coming thru but your ears
can easily distinguish the DX's signal from all the rest.  If you are right
on the DX's freq the decoder may decode his call and who he is coming back
to but if he is sending 9M6SDX EU it may not decode the did/dit dit dah to
let you know he wants Europe only, etc.  I believe you still need to learn
CW.  What if the DX asks your name or QTH?  Will you know what he is asking?
Will you be able to send the info back to him?

I think it is just having the incentive to learn.  For me, I had to learn CW
at 10 WPM to complete my AT (Aviation Electronics Tech) school and then
later I had to pass 18 WPM before a RMC (Chief Radio Operator) at the USCG
Radio Station NMC to be able to be promoted.  As a young AT3 (Aviation Tech
3rd Class) just out of tech school I didn't enjoy washing C-130's with a big
long brush and flying in the old noisy HU16E amphips.  I wanted to get 2nd
Class as soon as I could and get out of washing planes and into flying in
the C-130's all over the world, including all the rare LORAN stations on
rare islands out in the Pacific.  Now that was incentive!  It helped that I
learned CW and got my ham license while in High School.

Having the newbies watch a CW operation at work may give them the incentive
to learn so they can join the fun.
______________________________________
Alan Zack
Amateur Radio Station K7ACZ
Official USCG Auxiliary Comm Station
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
Delta Rocket Quality Engineer, The Boeing Company, Retired
Aviation Chief Warrant Officer,  U.S. Coast Guard, Retired
SEMPER PARATUS
http://gocoastguard.com
http://www.uscgradio.net
http://www.comm-one.org