Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote Site Contesting Rules

To: "Tom Osborne" <w7why@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote Site Contesting Rules
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 10:14:21 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 18:20:20 -0700, "Tom Osborne" <w7why@verizon.net>
 wrote:

>Seems like whenever someone tries to push the envelope higher, people try
>and try to find ways to shoot their progress down.

------------ REPLY FOLLOWS ------------

True, but there is a reason why people generally resist having the
envelope pushed, and that is the resisters generally want to maintain
competitiveness. In nearly all sports competition, the allowed
hardware, rules and procedures are carefully designed so nobody can
gain an advantage solely to themselves.

Ham radio contesting is a glaring exception. In nearly all contests
other than WRTC, the rules are so loose that by "pushing the envelope"
a station can gain an unfair advantage over others and thereby REDUCE
the competitiveness.

WRTC is the sole exception and I wish more contests were structured
like that one is.

Dream on, I know. :-)

Bill W6WRT