Re: [CQ-Contest] It Is What It Is

To: k-zero-hb@earthlink.net, CQ-Contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] It Is What It Is
From: steve.root@culligan4water.com
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2006 17:04:51 +0000
The idea of an uneven playing field has nothing to do with operator skills or
station size. If you're a better operator, have mastered techiques like SO2R,
have superior station building skills and resources, or have innovative new
ideas then you're SUPPOSED to win. And I've never seen anything written on this
Reflector that would question that principle. Any suggestion to level the field
has nothing to do with a Pete Rosell type "parity" or anythiing remotely close
to "Harrison Bergeron".

The uneven field refers to something that you cannot engineer your way around
or compenstate for with skills and hardware. I highly doubt people travel to
HC8 because they like to look at lizards and turtles, or spend lots of money
building stations on D4 because they like high humidity. Geography is an
immutable fact of life. You can't underestimate it's effect and you can't do
anything about it either. To be blunt, you will NEVER win a DX contest from
North Dakota. You probably won't win SS either.

While we can accept the realities of operating where we live, it's difficult to
accept a set of rules that exxagerate the inequities. This thread started with
the suggestion that CQ consider a relativley small change to their scoring
rules that would address one of these inequities (living in a big high
population country). That's about it, right Rick?

73 Steve K0SR