Re: [CQ-Contest] I.C.E. vs. Dunestar

To: "cq-contest reflector" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] I.C.E. vs. Dunestar
From: "David Hachadorian" <k6ll@adelphia.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 19:11:07 -0000
From: "Kelly Jones" <kjones@virtualcohesion.com>
To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Sent: Sunday, June 11, 2006 5:46 PM
Subject: [CQ-Contest] I.C.E. vs. Dunestar

> I'm thinking about either getting a set of individual
> filters or
> possibly an "all in one" bandpass filter but trying to
> decide which is
> better.  I have experiences with both and from what I've
> seen, both
> appear to work fine.
>
> Anybody care to comment?  I see Dunestar costs slightly
> more than I.C.E.
> Are they worth the extra cost?
-----------------------------

I have the Dunestars. My local buddy W7WW has the ICE boxes.
There are two thing I don't like about the ICE 6-band box:

1. The signal path goes through 12 sets of relay contacts in
series. I have seen problems with the received signal
dropping out, and one has to "whack the box" to get them
back. The Dunestar box has only 2 sets of relay contacts.

2. The capacitors in the ICE box get very hot, especially on
10 meters, and will fail by permanently making a large
change in capacitance. You can get better capacitors
("snubbers") from www.mouser.com . They still get very hot,
but so far they have not failed.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ