Re: [CQ-Contest] LOTW secuity--hams as a microcosm

To: "Dale L Martin" <kg5u@hal-pc.org>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] LOTW secuity--hams as a microcosm
From: Bill Turner <wrt@dslextreme.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 19:51:00 -0700
On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 09:35:39 -0500, "Dale L Martin" <kg5u@hal-pc.org>
wrote:

>Sure, my card is protected to a degree, but I've
>NEVER had anyone ever use my card for anything beyond what I was
>purchasing.

It happens somehow.  A few months ago someone in a city about a
hundred miles from me charged a bunch of motorcycle parts and had them
shipped to a Las Vegas address using my Visa card number, including my
name and card expiration date.  Both the bank and the shipping company
apologized profusely, said they couldn't understand how it could
happen, etc, etc, but there it was on my statement.

It took about six weeks, but it finally got straightened out ok.

--
Bill, W7TI