[CQ-Contest] Contesting from the basement

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Contesting from the basement
From: Hal@japancorporateresearch.com (Hal Offutt)
Date: Thu Jul 24 07:06:32 2003
Hi,

As many have pointed out, there are some advantages to having your shack in
the basement.  But I used a basement shack for many years and I'm very happy
to have finally escaped.  I won't do it again if I can help it.  There were
two things that I really disliked:  cold feet and no view of the outside.  I
don't know if my place was unique, but after a few hours my feet would
really get cold, and this is not a nice thing to have during a 48-hour
contest.  I tried all sorts of things - special slippers, boots, thick sox,
heaters, raised platform, etc. but nothing completely solved the problem.
N2MG's idea of putting in a raised floor sounds like it would be worth the
trouble if you have enough overhead.

With respect to the view, you just don't realize how nice it is to be able
to look outside and see trees, grass, rain, sky, snow, autumn leaves, etc.
until you can't do it any longer.

Just a couple of things to think about.  Good luck with your project.

73,

Hal W1NN