[CQ-Contest] W7RM and noise filter

Subject: [CQ-Contest] W7RM and noise filter
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Tue Apr 1 09:51:13 2003
In a message dated 4/1/03 6:33:00 AM Pacific Standard Time, spa@tri.net
writes:

> On a visit ot W7RM near Seattle perhaps 30 years ago I noted that the
>  linears were all in a separate room (one for each band!) and the operating
>  stations (bring your own Collins S-line!) were well isolated.  That with a
>  dedicated station with antennas pointing right down the Straits to JA with
>
>  Japanese speaking OP made for a very tough station to beat from the west
>  coast.

    Of course one of the secret weapons was the beach antenna - a yagi
mounted on saltwater 200 feet below the bluff and pointed at JA. The bluff
was a fabulous stateside QRM filter and allowed the ops to hear stuff no one
else could hear.

    The first major m/m operation from there produced until then unheard of
numbers of JA Q's. The contest committee determined that working that many
JA's was 'impossible' and dinged them hundreds of Q's as a result.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC