[CQ-Contest] Pileup Management

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Pileup Management
From: ve4xt@mb.sympatico.ca (Kelly Taylor)
Date: Tue Nov 5 20:10:19 2002
Hmm,
I even have a name for post-mult SS. Ragchewing.

Is SS an SO2R contest? I don't think so. Sure, people do SO2R. It's a great
contest to practise SO2R, particularly on Sunday. But when you have a
relatively small, fixed number of multipliers, the benefits of SO2R are not
as great as in, say, WW or WPX, which for everybody have unattainable
maximum amounts of multipliers. You can, in contests like that, pick up
mults you wouldn't otherwise have with SO2R. It's hard to say the same for
SS.

In SS, any Q that you pick up on Saturday on the second radio is one more
non-Q adding to the Sunday doldrums. It is also a contest, as K0HB says,
where "mults happen." There's really only a handful you need to work for.

I think the fact that there are an attainable number of multipliers adds to
the charm of SS. That one station faces what some consider unmanageable
pileups does not, in my view, warrant a significant change in the fun factor
for the rest of us. I mean no disrespect to anyone when I say that, but
there is another station in a section almost as rare as YT who does seem to
manage huge pileups on both modes quite well.

The Sweep is also a goal that stations can set if they know they aren't
going to be Top 10.

SS is fine the way it is. I think our efforts would be better spent on
helping those with unruly pileups learn more effective techniques for pileup
control.

Pileups in DX contests can be as big or bigger than any faced by any one
station in SS. After all, in WW, everybody is working everybody. I wonder
what it's like to be a rare South Pacific station when paths are open to
Europe, Asia, Africa and the Americas at once. Do we propose to eliminate
mults in those contests as well, so nobody has to face a big pileup?

I also think the concerns expressed about pileups were less about the size
of the pileup and more about the attitude displayed by some people in the
pileup.

73, kelly
ve4xt