[CQ-Contest] New log deadline for ARRL contests?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] New log deadline for ARRL contests?
From: thompson@mindspring.com (David L. Thompson)
Date: Fri Jun 7 11:32:41 2002
I agree with Randy.  The biggest problem with log checking is getting
everyone to submit a proper log.
When you receive logs in say a non cabrillo format the log must be run
through a converter and with some contests this is no trivial task.  Then
there needs to be an incentive to get the paper log entries to put them on a
computer even if post contest.  Hand checking these logs is also not a
trivial task. Please remember that some still do not have a PC.   A certain
Russian contester would tell me thanks for accepting his hand log.  Well
before this years contest I gave him some reasons to get it on the computer.
Low and behold he sent in the entry on diskette using a PC at his work.
Next year he says he will send it via e-mail.

Perhaps there should be three incentives: (say add points like the ARRL
Field Day)

One for fast log entry (say arrives with the 15 days).
One for being in the proper format.  Most of the logging programs produce a
cabrillo format but you have to have the correct (latest?) version.
The final incentive would be to get it on a computer even if you send a
diskette.

This would sure speed up log checking of the CQ 160 Contests.

One further comment.  When one has put in a big effort in a contest why
don't  we put the same effort in providing a log that fully meets contest
requirements?

73 Dave K4JRB