[CQ-Contest] Has the contest ended yet? -Reply

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Has the contest ended yet? -Reply
From: kl7y@alaska.net (Dan Robbins)
Date: Mon Jun 29 18:58:05 1998
VE6SH wrote:

>Is that not the point? If you make a typo error "real time" and did not
>catch it, should you have the ability to correct it after the Contest?

Yes.  This is not a TYPING contest.  Poor typists will make more mistakes
than excellent typists.  Radio contests should not be judged on typing
ability.  Furthermore, it seems that when I correct a mistake after the
contest it never helps my score - it almost always reduces it. As an
example, if I see WW3LPL in the log after the contest and I know I didn't
work that call, I will change it to W3LPL.  This usually results in a new
dupe or in the case of the WPX, maybe losing a PX.  In other words, a score
reduction.  Look at it from this viewpoint:  If I kept WW3LPL in the log,
knowing full well that I didn't work that exact call, that would be
cheating, would it not?  If you massage your log after the contest and your
score goes DOWN, you are probably more honest than the guy who knowingly
leaves the typos in.

                        In defense of poor typists everywhere,

                                        Dan KL7Y