10 Meter Novice "Contest Free" Zone

Subject: 10 Meter Novice "Contest Free" Zone
From: w2xx@cloud9.net (w2xx@cloud9.net)
Date: Tue Dec 3 15:38:12 1996
Greetings:

Just a brief correction is in order here.  The ARRL's Contest Free
Zone (CFZ) is in effect ONLY for the ARRL 10 Meter Contest.  There
is no CFZ in the ARRL International DX Contest.

I agree that it is unfortunate that the new LU novice privileges
allow operating on 28300-28350 for contests only.  That was NOT
the case over one year ago when the CFZ was instituted.

The point might be made as to why the LU govt. did not check with
contest organizers before making such a decision.  In any case,
it would seem that a contest-only segment for LU novices is more
effective in the 28500 area where in my experience more contest
activity takes place.

As a bit of background information, the 10 Meter CFZ was accepted
(not proposed) by the ARRL CAC as a trade-off for allowing club
competition during the ARRL 10 Meter Contest.

Very 73,

J.P. Kleinhaus, W2XX
Chairman ARRL CAC

J.P. Kleinhaus, W2XX  (fdba AA2DU)