Rotator Repairs

Subject: Rotator Repairs
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Fri Mar 22 06:45:38 1996
> I know CATS, and Norm's and Hygain/Telex do repairs. What advantages does
one >have over the other?   BTW, the rotor is an older HAM-M type (but I
really can't see >much difference between it and my HAM IV).

Hiya, Mark --
    How're things in Tennessee?
    Craig at CATS does a wonderful job of rotator repair and has made many
suggestions to improve Hy-Gain by Telex rotators, many of them actually
incorporated by Hy-Gain.  He even wrote a history of the CDE/Hy-Gain
rotators; he probably knows more about them then any other ham in the
country.
     I've never done business with Norm myself but the factory recommends him
particularly for older rotators that they don't support anymore.  He seems to
do good work also.
    Factory service is available from Hy-Gain in Lincoln, NE.   The beauty of
the factory service is that they charge a flat fee regardless of what's wrong
with it -- and they haven't increased their rates since 1983!  For the
rotator only, it's $75 for the Ham IV and $95 for the T2X.  If you price
their parts nowadays, all you need is to replace the indicator pot (very
common problem) and, including labor, you've already paid for the repair.
 And if more parts need replacing like the brake, gears, etc., you're money
way ahead.  THIS IS THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN HAM RADIO!  BTW, there are many
internal differences between the various Ham incarnations; the factory can
also upgrade you to a Ham IV for a little additional charge (I don't know
what it is); it is definitely a worthwhile improvement.
 73,   Steve     K7LXC