More Stack Modeling

Subject: More Stack Modeling
From: kf3p@cais.cais.com (Tyler Stewart) (Tyler Stewart)

>Here's more data resulting from modeling stacked yagis -- in this case
>5-el 20m monobanders rather than tribanders.
>
>Modeling Software: NEC-2
>Ground Model: Sommerfeld-Norton
>Ground Dielectric Const: 13
>Ground Conductivity: 5 mS/m
>Taper: W6QHS Method
>Segs/Halfwave: 50
>
>Antenna: Hygain 205CA, Phone Setting
>Mast Position: Center of boom
>Frequency: 14.2 MHz
>

>Stacking Heights: 72/105 feet
>
>Lower Ant   Upper Ant
> Azimuth     Azimuth    Gain
>  0 deg       0 deg     16.02 dBi @ 10 deg elev   Both in phase
>  0 deg       0 deg     13.21 dBi @ 14 deg elev   Lower only
>  0 deg       0 deg     13.45 dBi @  9 deg elev   Upper only
> None         0 deg     14.14 dBi @  9 deg elev   One 205CA @ 105 ft
>  0 deg       None      13.87 dBi @ 13 deg elev   One 205CA @  72 ft
>180 deg       0 deg     10.99 dBi @  9 deg (up) 10.66 dBi @ 13 deg (low)
>

>Stacking Heights: 52/105 feet
>
>Lower Ant   Upper Ant
> Azimuth     Azimuth    Gain
>  0 deg       0 deg     16.17 dBi @ 11 deg elev   Both in phase
>  0 deg       0 deg     13.50 dBi @ 18 deg elev   Lower only
>  0 deg       0 deg     14.07 dBi @  9 deg elev   Upper only
> None         0 deg     14.14 dBi @  9 deg elev   One 205CA @ 105 ft
>  0 deg       None      13.52 dBi @ 18 deg elev   One 205CA @  52 ft
>180 deg       0 deg     12.31 dBi @  9.5 deg (up) 11.34 dBi @ 14.5 deg (low)
>

>These results show that there is less interaction between the monobanders
>than between the tribanders when both antennas are pointed in the same
>direction, particularly for the larger stacking separation. However, the
>gain degradation for the monobanders is actually greater than the tribanders
>for the smaller stacking separation when the antennas are pointed in
>opposite directions:
>
>Gain Degradation
>                        72/105 Stack               52/105 Stack
>Force 12 C3 Upper        -1.92 dB                   -2.66 dB
>Force 12 C3 Lower        -1.93 dB                   -2.88 dB
>HG205CA Upper            -2.46 dB                   -1.76 dB
>HG205CA Lower            -2.55 dB                   -2.16 dB
>
>Where gain degradation is the difference in maximum gains of the same
>antenna at the same height as a result of pointing in opposite directions.
>
>It appears that you pay a performance price when you point stacked yagis
>in opposite directions. For practical purposes this will only
>be of importance for signals that are marginally above the noise. On the
>other hand, contesters spend a lot of money eeking another one or two dB out
>of their antenna systems.
>

>73 de Bruce, WA7BNM   (bhorn@netcom.com)

I'm having a bit of a hard time following some of your numbers, and I think
some of them may be questionable.  For instance, if I'm reading them correctly,
when you fed 2 yagis in opposite directions you got less than a 3 db
degradation.  Since a pair of yagis has 3 db less power per yagi than a single
yagi (assuming equal power distribution),  I would have expected a bigger
excursion ie. it should be 3db lower right off the bat. However, all the
numbers look close within about .5 db or so.  I consider giving up .5 db for
the versatility of a multi-directional stack a nice tradeoff if you only
have 1 or 2 towers.

73, Tyler kf3p@cais.com