ts-870 interesting failure

Subject: ts-870 interesting failure
From: David Robbins <robbins@berkshire.net> (David Robbins)
JOHN MITCHELL wrote:

>  The investigation
> >also showed that the "RX ant" jack on the back has a similar bulb plus
> >resistor in series with it.... plugging the beverage cable into the rx
> >ant jack restored the 870's RX for the rest of the contest.
>
> Hi David
>
> What I find REALLY interesting is that that "RX Ant jack worked as a
> beverage input!!!  According to the manual, all this jack does is split the
> antenna signal going OUT of the 870 so that an external recvr can be used.
> There is a menu item to activate this feature.  Did plugging the beverage
> into this jack only work because the main rcvr input was blown?  Or do you
> find that the so called RX out jack works as an external RX ant input,
> perhaps when not "activated" on the menu??? Please let me know, as I now
> have to switch my beverages manually between the two SO-239 transceive jacks
> (I haven't taken time to build an external relay arrangement)
>
> Thanx, 73, John, WD4MUR

yes, it works even without changing the menu selection.  i am very
confused why it is wired in the way it is.  the problem would be that
it would be in parallel with the antenna on the so-239 if you just put
the beverage in that jack, with no way to cut it off.  now, it would
be fairly easy to wire switches in place of those two bulbs to select
which antenna input went to the rx.  in fact a slight rewireing of
the k1 relay that is used to activate the power splitint network
would probably make that menu item select either one or the other.

--
ky1h@berkshire.net   or   robbins@berkshire.net
http://www.berkshire.net/~robbins/ky1h.html