CQ WW 160 Contest Log Checking

Subject: CQ WW 160 Contest Log Checking
From: N6DX@aol.com (N6DX@aol.com)
Date: Sun Jan 21 13:40:28 1996

> I do follow N4IN's rule about removing contacts in doubt

Dave,
There are many reasons for unique calls showing up in contest logs.  They can
be non-contesters cajoled into a QSO, a sloppy fist on the part of the
sendor, a unique propagation path, a slim, or unintentional error.  In
general, log checkers are well intentioned in their quest for fairness and
improving the quality of operation.  However, they are people with their own
predjudices and opinions often competing in the same contest they are
judging.  Therefore, it is important that they avoid anything that can be
faulted as subjective or arbitrary.  While there is some correlation between
uniques and bad contacts some checkers have given this factor far more weight
than due.  I personally was victimized by a biased checker that used his
authority to denigrate me along with several of my freinds.  The damage is
irreversable to have been humiliated in print without ever having been able
to defend oneself.  Please,  do not impose a change to a log unless proof of
an error is established. The errors missed are compensated for by added
penalty to the errors proven.  One thing we found is that ANY log can be
disqualified of the checker is intent on doing so.  Fortunately, 160 meter
contest logs are the cleanest of any contest despite marginal conditions.
 Also, any change that would alter ranking should be presented to contestant
prior to publication.  I'm sure N4IN would have deleted the QSO if I could
have been heard by UN2L on 160 who was 579 nearly one hour after local
sunrise.  Don't penalize excellence even if it may be "UNIQUE".
Darrell, N6DX