CQWW 160 CW - W7RM

Subject: CQWW 160 CW - W7RM
From: aa7nx@aol.com (aa7nx@aol.com)
Date: Mon Jan 31 01:30:27 1994
1994 CQ WW 160 CW - W7RM
QTH: Washington State, USA
Catagorie: Single Op
Operator: AA7NX

681 Qs  53 W/VE mults  15 DX mults
Score: 132,464 points

Station: TS930S, 1000 watts (2 - 450-TLs), Inverted Vee @ 130' and 4 quarter
wave bi-square verticals (NW, NE, SE, SW)

Condx very good for most if not all of contest. Was working the East Coast
right at sunset with good signals. Quietest I've ever heard 160. Fewer JAs
for me this year, and not sure if that is my problem, antenna problem,
propagation or fewer JAs. Worked all states EXCEPT Miss! Can't believe I
didn't get it, as I heard one Friday night that I couldn't get because I was
S&Ping and so was he.

 Biggest thrill: getting called by V85AA with less than
30 minutes left. I can relate to Tor, N4OGW about the reading. I browsed the
Gil cartoon book (ARRL pub) and off and on read the latest William Gibson
book "Vitual Light" as the computer called endless CQs. Got a bit surreal
about 4AM local.....

 Funniest thing was that my best hour (0400Z on 1st night) occured while I
was eating dinner! It was pretty wild running at peaks up to 160/hr (95 was
that hour's total) while dining on Rush's fine cuisine (truly fine).

 I found that the W9GR DSP was not much help this time, I guess because the
niose level was so low. It seems that in low noise condx the DSP actually
introduces more audio noise and digital hash. I did have terrible problems
with imaging in the 930s receiver. Many times I had weak signals blown away
by images of strong adjacent signals. Attenuation didn't seem to help much,
so it is probably time for an alignment. I apparently was not alone on this,
as at one point I got a call from one of the strong stations telling me I had
hum on my signal. His signal had hum too, and he wasn't nearly as loud as he
had been. It turned out we were working each other's images! Anybody have
similar problems? In the ARRL 160 I had imaging problems also, but I thought
it was just my rig.

Thanks to all for the QSOs!

Is there any way to electronically submit the logs for CQ-sponsored contests?

See you in the Sprint!
73, Mike AA7NX@AOL.com