on potatoes

Subject: on potatoes
From: ua3dpx@mosbos.msk.su (Andy_Melanyin)
Date: Thu Nov 26 18:16:41 1992
Thanks to everybody for the mail on my little letter. Bob, WN3K I've got Yours
too and wonder what place in Russia Your grandparents left in 1905 ?
Scott, K9MA as far as the all jumming txses, they are lots in Russia at the
moment and they were so many during the stagnation period that now the offici-
als don't realy know what to do with them. As I work for the Moscow Technical
University of Telecommunications and Information (former Moscow Telecommunica-
tions Institute) we have a lot of proposals to modify those transmitters to
the broadcasting ones. This would be possible if they pay us more for that kind
of job but ...no one whants to do anything for nothing... A year ago I've been
given two such transmitters for the club station of the University - UZ3AWH
(ex UK3AAH, RM3O, UA3KAH, UK3AH), but nowerdays students are interested more
on women etc. then in radiosport. So one final stage will be in RB5Q land tomo-
rrow afternoon. And the other was devided on smole components ... and some of
them I'll be using in my home linear - hi. I'm sorry I could not place the
transmitter itself at my little two roomed flat on the sixth flor of 9 story
block of flats.(It weighs a Ton).
Eric, I'll be using the UX3D call in CQWW CW. I'll be all band low power entry.
The antennas are: 160 - Delta Loop 45m up the ground (I'm using it as the addi-
tional ant for resceiver as well for it has about 6 dB on 40/80 to NA),
half wave Dipole at the same hight; 80/40 - inv.Vee on the 12m tower on the
roof of my block; 20,15,10 - light 4el tribander (if it'll stay till the con-
test finish-hi). The equipment is RA3AO transceiver (later I'll tell everybody
what transceivers do we have in Russia). It's homemade with some additional
features to compeare with the authors cirquit diagram. And a little 100 W linear
for the transceiver itself has 5 W output. The computer logging programm -
N6TR, the computer - AMSTRAD PC with 8MHz, 640K RAM, 10 MB hard disk, CGA mono-
chrome monitor.
As far as potatoes ... I'm sorry Tree You missunderstood me or may be it was my
falt. I mean the real potatoes not ... under the cat's tail. And the guy who
has more output power has better potatoes in the garden because of the RF
heating. It all comes from the expirience of visiting Broadcasting stations.
You know in Russia people usually like to grow something everywere and the
antenna fields of the broadcasting stations are the best places. This is true,
and I myself saw the vegetables were realy bigger then from the other fields.
Byt as far the competitions between 500 W and 5KW this was the spetiall story.
The guys competed for the box of vodka (20 bottles) in one of the domestik
contests. And the one with the less power won.I can't tell You the call of the
second guy for he is going to come back for the contesting.(May be)
As for the chirp in some UA0's signals ... If You come to Russia You can hear
the same thing in lots of UA3's etc. This is not so funny because almost all
the equipment in this country people have to make themselves. And not all of
them are proffetional radioengineers. Some people can't even correctly tell
You how a transistor works. But even this is not so important to have a good
signal. Perharps You should come here Your self to see the #@%^*&% which someone
use. And You will understand everything.(think it will be big story about the
home made equipment). And nothing can be done with it untill we have normal
economy and our people could buy the normal radioes.
Later I'll tell You all some stories about Russian club stations.
Now 73 !! See You all this weekend.
            Andy ( UA3DPX )
P.S. For the end of cold war !!