Antennaware

Re: [Antennaware] HF Colinear Dipoles

To: Karin Johnson <karinann@tampabay.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Antennaware] HF Colinear Dipoles
From: Terry Conboy <n6ry@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2019 15:54:01 -0700
Hi Karin,

I looked at your model, and it looks pretty good.  One change I would make
would be to use the more accurate Real/High Accuracy ground type instead of
Real/MININEC ground.  The gain and impedance differences between them aren't
too great at 25 foot AGL on 20m, but it’s almost always a good idea to use that
ground with the NEC2 engine unless you have antennas that need a hard ground
connection.  The calculation is a little slower, but this model is simple
enough that the calculation time is very short either way.

I’m curious about the two types of feed line, one with VF=0.695 and other other
with VF=0.82.  It appears that your feed line just reaches from the element
feed points to the common point just above the ground.  You’d have a bit more
slack if the whole feed used the 0.82 VF line (or you could use a full
wavelength line instead of the 1/2 wavelength line).  Not that it’s a bit deal,
but line loss for LMR-400 at 14 MHz is 0.47 dB/100 ft and RG-213 is 0.65 dB/100
ft, but maybe you have some Andrew Heliax or equivalent.

Since you can adjust the length of the elements to give a 2:1 SWR on the line
and then adjust the line length slightly away from 1/2 wavelength to give 100
ohms resistive at the common point, you should be able to get 1:1 exactly at
the junction.  These lengths will vary if you change the height of the elements
or their spacing, of course.

Is the function of the L-C network to get the common point Z back to 50 ohms
when the elements are out-of-phase?  Perhaps I missed that detail.  I’m jealous
that you have a supply of vacuum relays and capacitors at your disposal!

BTW, I created a version of this model in AutoEZ, so it can optimize the
element and feeder lengths for SWR and/or gain.  It saves a lot of manual
adjustment for lazy people like me.

Good luck dodging the high winds.

73, Terry N6RY