Antennaware

[Antennaware] BOG Signal Levels Near Transmitting Antennas

To: antennaware@contesting.com
Subject: [Antennaware] BOG Signal Levels Near Transmitting Antennas
From: Ward Silver <hwardsil@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2019 09:56:12 -0600
Yes, it could very well be.  Antennas close (electrically) to transmitting
antenna systems are exposed to large fields and could pickup enough voltage
to damage a sensitive input.  It's impossible to say how much without
analyzing or measuring the current levels in the radials and knowing how
far away the BOG is and a million other variables.  The safest thing to do
is disconnect the BOG output from the receiver (or short it) when you are
transmitting.

On a related note - do not use anti-parallel diodes as an input clamp
because they will generate harmonics from the transmitted signal.  This
isn't a problem unless you are trying to listen on another band while
you're transmitting, such as in a SO2R setup.  Use a grain-of-wheat lamp or
one of the front-end protectors.

Other non-bypassed diodes connected to long, unshielded wires, like the
rectifiers in a HyGain rotator control box, will also act as harmonic
generators or mix multiple signals together.  A 0.01 uF or similar
capacitor across the diodes will bypass the non-linear junctions.  Hams
have a LOT of these diodes in their stations.

73, Ward N0AX

Hey Ward, et al,
This is not related to the original topic but you mentioned BOG antennas
and I have a question.Is installing a BOG near the ground system of an
Inverted-L dangerous for a receiver? Separation between them would be about
1/8 wavelength, perhaps less, from the nearest radial.
In my situation, there would be radials and the BOG(s) in the same body of
water. I have no clue how much RF current and voltage would be in there.
Thanks, Joe, K8MP