Antennaware

[antennaware] EZNEC or MININEC for Windows?

To: <antennaware@contesting.com>
Subject: [antennaware] EZNEC or MININEC for Windows?
From: kaufmann@ll.mit.edu (John Kaufmann)
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 12:57:51 -0500
At 11:27 AM 1/21/99 -0500, Gary Breed wrote:

>First, be sure to check W4RNL's web site and his recent articles
>in the various magazines -- That will help you decide whether
>a NEC- or MININEC-based program is what you need.  Both
>have advantages and limitations compared to the other.

This is good advice.  Although I use EZNEC almost all the time, there are
some situations where MININEC (ELNEC) is more accurate.  In my modeling
work, one of the big advantages of EZNEC is the availability of a "high
accuracy" ground model which permits modeling of antennas with horizontal
wires close to the ground (supposedly as close as .001 wavelengths) with
fairly good accuracy (although some people would dispute this claim).
This covers cases like vertical antennas with elevated radials.  The
standard MININEC programs become less accurate at heights below 0.2
wavelengths.

Despite being a DOS application, EZNEC is still quite user friendly
although it takes some time to learn all its features and capabilities.
The "user manual" that comes with EZNEC is over 100 pages long and you
really do want to read most, if not all, of it.

73, John W1FV

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/antennaware-faq.html
Submissions:              antennaware@contesting.com