[3830] RAC Winter VE7UF M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] RAC Winter VE7UF M/M HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 14:55:58 +0000
                    RAC Winter Contest - 2023

Call: VE7UF
Operator(s): VA7VF VA7QD VE7JH VE7UF VE7YAH
Station: VE7UF

Class: M/M HP
QTH: BC

  160:   25      12      5         5
   80:  132      24      9         6
   40:  278      51     10         8
   20:  188     499     11        12
   15:  138     401     11        11
   10:  155     281      9         9
Total:  916    1268     55        51  Total Score = 1,063,816

Club: Orca DX and Contest Club

Comments:

I ran into Yvonne, VE7YAH at the VE7NA swapmeet this fall and thought it'd be
great to have some local YL's join us at VE7UF's superb contest station for the
Winter Contest. We got Margaret, VA7VF on board and as luck would have it,
Jeanne, VA7QD happened to be visiting the area so she joined in too.
It turns out that our YL's are a bit rusty on CW and the station is set up for
CW operating, but in the weeks before the contest Duane, VE7UF with the help or
Jim, VE7ZO and Cezar, VE7MR made some modifications to the antenna system that
allowed us to use SSB as well.
The YL's were running the show on the high bands during daylight hours, while
VE7UF and I tried to gather up the needed mults on the low bands at night.
We had excellent band conditions and very good Canadian activity this year.
We tried to focus on getting as many VE's in the log as we could and ended up
with 671 Canadian QSOs. Our cousins South of the border were out in numbers as
well with 1390 in the log. You can always count on great US activity.
The antennas were pointing at Toronto (we're out on Vancouver Island in the
Pacific Ocean) but we still netted many DX QSOs as well. It's always nice to see
the activity from other parts of the world.
With less than an hour to go we rang the station bell for the 1 million point
mark.
Big congrats to Ken, N6RO and his gang. We followed them on the fantastic live
contest website and I had the pleasure to concede live on the air during our
160m chat, HI.
Thanks to all who called in. It's a great tradition in the RAC Winter Contest to
have the opportunity to wish "Happy New Year" live on the air to your
fellow hams.
We wish everyone many DX and high run rates for 2024!

73 from the VE7UF crew!